Velleron and surroundings
Velleron – The village
Velleron is located between Pernes-les-Fontaines and L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in the centre of the agricultural plain of the Comtat.
The typical Provençal village is only 20 km from Avignon and an ideal starting point for excursions in Provence.
Within a few years, the famous farmers' market in Velleron has become a real institution in the Vaucluse and far beyond.
The market is open all year round and surprises with a variety of regional and seasonal products.
Collines and canal
The Canal de Carpentras was built from 1849-1857 as an irrigation structure. The water is taken from the Durance at Mallemort. The length of the main canal is 69 kilometres. The aqueduct of Galas near Fontaine-de-Vaucluse is one of the structures along the canal.
The Collines near Velleron are the first foothills of the Vaucluse mountains. They are excellent for walks, short hikes, running, cycling and mountain biking.
The Caves of Thouzon
The Thouzon caves were discovered in 1902 during the exploitation of a quarry. They are the only natural caves in Provence open to tourism.
The yellow-gold stalactites are the centrepiece of the caves. During the visit, you will walk over the fossilised bed of an ancient underground river.
The 500m2 breeding greenhouse is a little paradise. The tropical plants recreate the rainforest and allow the butterflies to metamorphose, develop, feed and reproduce naturally.
Pernes les Fontaines
Pernes-les-Fontaines is also called the "Pearl of the Comtat". Former capital of the Comtat Venaissin before falling under the rule of the popes, it has preserved an exceptional historical heritage from that period. First Paternus, then Paternae, then Pernes, the town endowed with a natural spring and having 36 fountains in 1936, finally became "Pernes-les-Fontaines".
And fountains there are! No fewer than 40 - twice as many if you count the private fountains - dating back to the 18th century, several of which are listed.
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue takes its name from the Sorgue, which rises a few kilometres upstream in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. This divides into numerous arms and canals that divide the town into several islands. For this reason, the town is sometimes called the Venice of the Comtadine.
For almost 40 years, the flea market has shaped the identity of the town of L'Isle and given it an international reputation. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is the third largest platform for the antiques trade in Europe, after Saint-Ouen and London.
The floating market takes place once a year: It is held on the first Sunday in August on the Sorgue.
Fontaine de Vaucluse
Fontaine de Vaucluse is an emblematic village in the Luberon. The famous spring of the Sorgue rises here. With an annual water volume of 630 million cubic metres, it is the most powerful spring in France. The emerald-green water, which is usually calm in summer, becomes spectacular at high water (in autumn and spring): 90 m³ per second pour into the Sorgue riverbed. In all seasons, secondary springs feed the river and form a very beautiful water surface shaded by huge plane trees.
In the surrounding area
Plateau and Parc de L'Arbousière
Chapel of Notre Dame du Sacré Coeur (1947)
Place des Cafés
Medieval town with three Saracen towers. Steep streets and houses of golden stone, Notre-Dame church and cathedral and a beautiful 11th century baptistery.
Brocante on Sunday morning and weekly market on Friday morning in the city centre